I have been absent from blogging because I have been” processing” my 25-year young Godson’s suicide just a week and a half ago. He wasn’t famous so he didn’t get worldwide attention, but we have been dealing with the heartbreak just like America has for Robin Williams. During this past week, this subject has been on the media more than ever before, and when we ponder our Michael, we are learning that he did indeed pull away from family and friends a few weeks prior to taking his life. He was also engaging in risk-taking behaviors and bought a firearm. He posted dark pictures on his FB site. Michael was adopted at 4 days young, and we know his birth-mother was a drug mother and suffered depression which made Michael at high risk for these struggles regardless of his loving adopted family. No one is at fault for Michael’s death, and we are grieving as we attempt to understand knowing very well we may NEVER know all the details.
I did some research on this topic and found these stats to be even higher than I imagined. I like sharing with readers so we can be more informed and MAYBE help someone else before it’s too late. It’s tough to do though because once a person has his/her mind made up …
This is from a site called dosomething.org
- Nearly 30,000 Americans commit suicide every year.
- In the US, suicide rates are highest in the spring.
- Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for 15 to 24-year-olds and 2nd for 24 to 35-year-olds.
- On average, 1 person commits suicide every 16.2 minutes.
- Each suicide intimately affects at least 6 other people
- About 2/3 of people who complete suicide are depressed at the time of their deaths. Depression that is untreated, undiagnosed, or ineffectively treated is the number 1 cause of suicide.
- There is 1 suicide for every 25 attempted suicides.
- Males make up 79% of all suicides, while women are more prone to having suicidal thoughts.
- 1 in 65,000 children ages 10 to 14 commit suicide each year.
- There are 2 times as many deaths due to suicide than HIV/AIDS.
- Over 50% of all suicides are completed with a firearm.